PICKS OF THE WEEK:
- Phormix Podcast #31 Document •7• SILENT SERVANT
The sorely missed Juan Mendez was a huge influence on my listening ramblings and record acquisitions, especially during the Sandwell District and Jealous God periods, somehow even to a higher degree than Soft Moon; instead of useless words, what better thing than to remember him through one of his countless rad DJ sets, in this case from a Pi x Phormix night at Athens’ Six D.O.G.S. in 2015.
- Hamburg, Germany horror soundtrack /industrial /EBM /techno /electro DJ-producer and live act L.F.T. “Electric Vampire” title track of upcoming 6-track “Electric Vampire” EP 12″ [Pinkman]
Hanseatic electro ace returns with straightforward, high-energy dance killer, driven by sturdy stomping drum beats and jiggly buzzing bass lines, that relentlessly flow and strobe under dry repetitive robotic vocals, sinister swirling synth strains, and whipping kick lashes, leaving you relentlessly dancing and stalking into a cold grey dawn.
- Rome, Italy acid house techno producer M. Passarani, aka Kids Of Rotten Future “Feel The Struggle”
Just this week the new “future boogie” floor-filler by Tiger & woods has been unveiled, check below, the veteran Rome-native electronic maestro drops under the new low-key moniker Kids Of Rotten Future, a hypnotic, bouncy, and crisp old-school acid house jam to drive a pulsating dancing frenzy, whilst sassy child-like vocal loops insist you gotta ‘Feel the Struggle’ so you can understand.
- Zürich, Switzerland ambient /house /breaks /experimental producer and Project Indigo label co-head, Boaksi “Show me how to love” from “Under the Pavilion” EP 12″ [Small Steps]
More beat-driven, ethereal and refined second venture by the Swiss producer, often ‘characterized by layered synth patterns, breaks, and textured percussion’. The first preview unfurls smooth shafting breakbeats, repetitive slow swelling hazy synth pads and emotive keys, to envelope the listener in a warm and stirring atmospheric reverie.
- 1990 Valencia techno/trance classic Interfront – “Strange (Size M Hustle Mix)” [Espacio CIELO]