I started seeing this after the summer, but at the end of the year, I couldn’t believe the number of diamonds that came out this year. Here these records went into the stereo on their own again and again and without any ranking mood, Ι somehow must place them and note them in here, the following releases are my 2021 soundtrack. A warm applaud to all of our readers (without you we are nothing) and our great admiration for the bands and artists and the record labels that made it all happen (also without you we are nothing); Listen Loud!!!
- WHISPERING SONS “Several Others” LP [PIAS] this marvel from Belgium is extending and growing bigger year by year!!!
- IDLES –“Crawler” LP [Partisan] British punk music from the future!!!
- THE BLACK VEILS – “Carnage” LP [Icy Cold Records] the Italian-school-of-fine-arts-I !!!
- NEW CANDYS – “Vyvyd” LP [Fuzz Club Records] the Italian-school-of-fine-arts-II !!!
- CLUSTERSUN – “Avalanche” LP [Icy Cold Records / Little Cloud Records] the Italian-school-of-fine-arts-III !!!
- ACTORS – “Acts Of Worship” LP [Artoffact Records] dynamite #1 from Canada!!!
- TRAITRS – “Horses In The Abbatoir” LP [Freakwave] dynamite #2 from Canada!!!
- DENMOTHER – “Frantic Ram” LP [Self Released] dynamite #3 from Canada!!!
- THIS IS THE BRIDGE – “World Without End” LP [TONN Recordings] one of the most important presences in British synth today!!!
- MADMOIZEL – “Blue LP” [TONN Recordings] I really love this artist (I don’t care what You say)!!!
- PROJECT MARINA – “Loin Des Dons Célestes LP” [New Sinister] French wave/ No-wave, speechless!!!
- GRAND GARÇON – “Le Sang” LP [New Sinister] French wave again, the bar went very high!!!
- MINUIT MACHINE – “Basic Needs” EP [Synth Religion] French raw power here, underground electro for the ages!!!
- HANGING GARDENS – “Corps Vides” EP [Self Released] my Premium darkwave absinthe, from Metz en France!!!
- FACTICE FACTORY – “Figments” LP [Holy Hour Records] what’s going ‘wrong’ en France? Why such Darkwave? What an album!!!
- MECHANIMAL – “Θόρυβος (Noise)” LP [Inner Ear] spoken word poetry on industrial post-punk music, Athens style!!!
- NIGHT IN ATHENS – “Metropolis” LP [Self Released] synthpunk coldwave crack, Athens style!!!
- PARADOX OBSCUR – “Singles & Rarities” LP [Metropolis Records] their first celebrated release on a big label, Athens style again!!!
- AMUSEMENT PARKS ON FIRE – “An Archea” LP [EGB Global] British alternative rock/ noise-pop/ shoegaze/ dream rock, one thundering release!!!
- THE THIRD SOUND – “First Light” LP [Fuzz Club Records] an album that you are talking to all the time, a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!
- THE UNDERGROUND YOUTH – “The Falling” LP [Fuzz Club Records] high-quality psychedelic post-punk music with urban poetry, very advanced situation here!!!
- LYCIA – “Casa Luna” EP [Projekt Records] the atmospheric and dark shoegaze universe by this legendary band from Arizona!!!
- GLARING – “Nebula” LP [Wave Tension Records / Peripheral Minimal Records] dream-darkwave, cold, and thoroughly addictive, and with all my respect to Anna Nin!!!
- WHIMSICAL – “Gravity” single [Shelflife Records] this is only one single specimen out of their 2021’s thread/very important-American-shoegaze-band!!!
- MAGIC WANDS – “Wash The Tears Away” single [Self Released]another striking and very important-American-shoegaze band!!!
- WARM – “What’s Done In The Dark” EP [Self Released] from the trademark American shoegaze again, with outstanding musical beauty in here!!!
- EEP – “Winter Skin LP” [Hogar Records] this neverending tribe; the American shoegazers, stunning release by a very ‘careful’ band!!!
- ESSES – “Bloodletting for the Lonely” LP [Atakra Productions / Bat-Cave Productions] Music. Art. Poetry. Sadness. Rage. Gloom. Repeat/ Deathrockrules!!!
- HOOVERIII – “Water For The Frogs” LP [The Reverberation Appreciation Society] American psychedelic garage rock act for the ages, with a significant release!!!
- MØTRIK – “MØØN: The Cosmic Electrics of MØTRIK” LP [Jealous Butcher Records] an American space kraut rock epic, unbelievable album!!!
- Last but not least this release that many point as the album of the year, LISA GERRARD & JULES MAXWELL “BURN” LP 2 members from Dead Can Dance, one fine and very imposing release by all means!!!
I must stop now or I’ll give you a dozen more diamond releases from 2021. Generally, I felt that this year was way more interesting (and way more productive) than the previous two years. Lockdowns, the ongoing pandemic, the depression, the vulgar states of mankind, against the free people, against the artists, who all shouted loudly together for a better and more equitable world. Let’s keep that last one and I’m sure now … 2022 is coming determined as a year to remember in arts broadly.
Stay safe, stay clean from the virus, refuse-resist. From the whole WL//WH crew; Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to Everybody!!!
Loud Cities’ Mike D/ WL//WH